- Provide exceptional service with distinction in all interactions with Parking & Transportation Services (PTS) customers. Cover multiple areas of PTS, with assigned responsibilities changing daily depending on staffing shortages.
- Troubleshoot guest or permit holder issues in garage facilities at the APS (automatic pay stations) machines or entry/exit lanes. Provide assistance and education as necessary to resolve customer issues and concerns. Promptly respond to any calls received from customers, Campus Facility Services (CFS), third party call management center, and/or other partners.
- Serve as basic technical support by inspecting an ensuring APS machines, exit verifiers, and gate equipment are online and functioning in garage facilities. Troubleshoot and repair ticket dispensers and gate equipment, and report major malfunctions to on-duty supervisor or electronics assistant.
- Assist Parking Services front office staff by answering customer emails and answering phone inquiries, including explaining PTS rules/regulations and the various privileges associated with different permit types.
- Serve as special event parking ambassadors. Collect critical data on open space availability throughout campus parking lots and facilities by conducting physical counts. Learn and provide basic courtesy vehicle services to customers in need, such as vehicle jumpstarts, air for tires, rides to get fuel, or assistance locating vehicles in a lot or garage. Drives university vehicles as required.
High school diploma or GED and one year of experience in an industry where customer service was a primary responsibility of the role.
Possess a valid driver's license with the ability to be insured by Indiana University.
Ability to deliver professional customer service skills at an exceptional level. Ability to learn and retain general knowledge over multiple PTS divisions' operations/procedures/practices. Ability to maintain professionalism when dealing with difficult or irate customers. Flexible with schedule. Ability to be courteous yet firm with the public. Ability to proactively identify customers who may need assistance and manage customer interactions with tact and a friendly demeanor. Ability to learn and understand the permissions of university parking permits and their associated parking locations. Knowledge of and ability to proficiently use Windows and Microsoft Office. Ability to follow instructions. Ability to work in a team environment, and to interact and communicate with a wide variety of people. Ability to learn and demonstrate the IUPUI Service with Distinction standards, Ability to follow the requirements of department's business continuity plan (BCP), if applicable.
One year customer service experience in the parking industry.
Working Conditions / Demands
The majority of time will be spent outdoors and there is possible exposure to extreme hot or cold temperatures. Ability to lift/carry minimum of 25 pounds, but not more than 50 pounds, multiple times per shift. Risk of bodily injury from mechanical parts, electricity, etc. Possible exposure to fumes, odors, etc. that may affect respiration and skin, Job may induce stress when dealing with upset/irate customers. Must be able to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
Some nights and weekends may be required.
Parking Services, IUPUI campus
Typical shift will be Monday through Friday, 11am to 5pm. Some nights and weekends may be required with notice from department.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information .
Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online . You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at email@example.com or by visiting IUPD.
About Indiana University Purdue University Indianpolis - IUPUI
Founded in 1820, Indiana University is the state’s public university system, comprised of two core campuses—IU-Bloomington and IUPUI—and six regional campuses located throughout the state. Combined, the total student population is more than 114,000 undergraduate, graduate and professional school students. IU is one of the largest employers in the state, with over 20,000 faculty and staff. Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. Diversity and inclusion remains a core commitment to IU’s mission to cultivate an educational environment that supports equal access, participation and representation on all of its campuses and that provides educational and career opportunities for all.